About the St Nicholas Organ

We are fortunate to have a wonderful historic instrument installed in the church, which is used both as accompaniment to our services and also for stand-alone recitals and for concerts. We are even more fortunate in having a group of very talented musicians who play for our services.

Originally built as a two manual instrument by Hill & Son 1875, it was rebuilt in 1913 by Norman & Beard as a three manual and moved to its present position.  Further work was carried out in 1964 by Hill, Norman & Beard including a new drawstop console on the south side of the chancel.

In 2009 & 2010 the organ was restored and enlarged, a solid state system was installed and tonal improvements carried out by Bower & Co.  It was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Norwich on Easter Sunday 2010.  The Opening recital was given by Adrian Lucas, organist of Worcester Cathedral.

We welcome musicians who wish to play as part of our annual recital season – please contact us for details.

The current specification of the organ may be downloaded here St Nicholas North Walsham – Organ Specifications

 

Scroll Up